Mahfuuz

My little place in space. Read my words...and to know me, leave your mark.

Name:
Location: India

Saturday, April 15, 2006

[Fiction] Run

One fateful game of “Gulli-Danda” started it all.

When blood streamed out of Keshavan’s blinded eye after the gulli stuck his face, my friends panicked. “Run, or else the police may arrest you,” they said.

I have been on the run ever since.

I landed at a road-side eatery. I fetched water from the well, chopped tree trunks for use as firewood and cleaned utensils. One day, when I wearily closed my eyes, the eatery’s caretaker Sunny Pillai sneaked up and tugged at the cord of my pyjamas. I stabbed him with the kitchen knife, the only thing I could lay my hands on. It was the turn of the sympathetic eye-witness to shout: “Run or else the police may arrest you.”

Pulishekharan’s house was the next stop. I was assigned household chores. He made his writ clear. “Bastard! I hope you won’t steal. Do not stay if you do. And remember, I won’t pay you anything.”

The place was like home, though. Mistress Shantamma treated me like her son. One day their daughter, in the fourth grade asked me: “Hey boy, can you oil my tresses?”

This time it was my turn to warn myself. “Don’t. Now, run or else the police may arrest me.”

I breathed next when I thought I was safe, crouching beside a stinking lavatory on a train. Then, much ticket-less travel and some pick-pocketing later, I accomplished myself as a chain-snatcher.

I once laid my hands on a gold chain adorning a sleeping lady’s neck. Startled, she awoke and latched onto my shirt. I was aghast. The racket of the speeding train drowned her screams. I tugged at the gold-chain with all my strength as well as the emergency chain overhead and dissolved into the darkness enveloping Jolarpettai before people could find her lying slit-throat in a pool of blood.

Wading through the night, I slept in a railway wagon abandoned at the end of a railhead. The morning sun came with a realisation that the secluded wagon was, in fact, a courtroom in transit to try offenders traveling without tickets. Black gowns were everywhere.

Imprisonment for six months, merely for sleeping inside a courtroom? It wasn’t long before I graduated to being a lifer.

After many incarcerations, some wily escapes and nearly having felt the noose, my hair hasn’t grayed yet and bones are all in tact. I am hungry now. To douse this fire inside my belly I have to return to the prison. Who should I kill next?

[417 words]

Vijay © 15th April, 2006
Inspired by “Police Lokatthil”
A poem in Malayalam by V. Muzaffar Ahmed

P.S: I acknowledge the inputs and insights my friend Rajaraman has given to this piece

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home