Mahfuuz

My little place in space. Read my words...and to know me, leave your mark.

Name:
Location: India

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dhikuli – near Corbett

That was a memorable trip, more so for the reason that I badly needed a break. I couldn’t have asked for a better place to unwind - The TARANGI SPA & RESORTS at Dhikuli, Uttarakhand.

I slowly dissolved into the various shades of green that the resort was painted in. It is an expansive place by the River Kosi. A swimming pool was what I wanted since my kids really enjoy swimming. What I got at the Resort was a fairly big swimming pool facing the River with the background of the hills. The clouds descending on the hill and the light drizzle that stayed throughout made my day. I haven’t walked in the drizzle and enjoyed the beauty of nature as much as I did on this weekend. Workers at the Resort are local people who attend to you as if you are a guest at their home. I have no hesitation in saying that they do justice to their tagline written at the main gate – Athithi Devo Bhava.

The food was above par and the care with which it was served made it feel tastier. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, with enough ventilation and view of the surroundings. Two things I liked most about the place – No Television, No Internet connectivity!!!!

Of the gates of the Corbett National Park and Tiger Reserve, which is in the vicinity, only one – Jharna Gate – was stated to be open for visitors and it would be mid November when all would be open. Even on the Jharna Gate, I was told that only a maximum of 26 vehicles would be allowed permit to enter the Corbett in the morning session starting at 6 AM. On the last day of my stay, I contracted a 4x4 Maruti Gypsy and set out with my family to try my luck at entering Corbett. However, due to heavy rains, the Gate remained closed for the day. The 150 odd people trying to be amongst the lucky 26 permits went without luck. Not to be disappointed we set out to Sitamani around 25 Kms away from Ramnagar. We could spot a few Sambhar, spotted Deer, Lingers, giant Lizards, Pea hens and wild Boars on the way. The ride around the jungle, with me and the kids standing and holding on to the roof-railings of the Maruti Gypsy, as the drizzle and cold wind caressed our faces, was something which I would like to do again.

There are two other things which I would associate with the trip. On my way to Dhikuli, a few kilometres before Gajraula, a local was fatally hit by a speeding truck. The villagers jammed the highway for around 3 hours. The local police who came to control the situation was awfully outnumbered by the villagers, who pelted stones at the Police. Finally, peace was restored and we could move forward. Then, on my way back, I touched Delhi border at Ghaziabad in flat four hours. But due to a heavy jam at Ghazipur crossing, I had to try three detours in a little less than an hour before I could reach my home, which is located about 5 minutes drive from the Ghaziabad Border.

Wish I could own some land in Dhikuli and retire...never to be back in the maddening hustle bustle of city life.

The pics are here for you to savour:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home