Mahfuuz

My little place in space. Read my words...and to know me, leave your mark.

Name:
Location: India

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

[Translation] Parityakta

matte paathiyum piDicheDuthu
ardhanaarishwara simhaasanam
thandethumaathramaakki
puurneshwaranaayi chamayave
gopuravaathilinappuram
parityaktadevi ninnu
nirantharam yaachikunnu
“tiriye taruu……
oru muppattimuunu
shatamaanamengilum…”

Malayalam Poem titled “Parityakta” by Jayashree


While you snatched the other half
and usurped the throne,
selfishly proclaiming your might,
She, the one denuded of her rights,
stands outside your court,
beseeching, pleading..
“Give me back my identity…
at least, thirty three percent of it…”

English Translation by Vijay Nair © 26th September, 2005

P.S. The Bill introducing 33% reservation for women in the Indian Parliament is still mired in controversy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home